So much is going on at the moment – it’s full on and exciting but much to pass onto you or seek help from you.
· NIPPERS - After a wet and wild start to the Patrol Season, this Saturday and Sunday will see the return of Australia’s largest Nipper Club with something in the order of 1100 kids. Exciting but these number mean we’ll certainly be looking for more help plus please consider parking arrangements as it will be tight! Can you help with some sponsorship from you or a company you might have affiliation with? Water safety? mums and dads starting their Bronze Medallion in order to jump in the water with the kids - it's really rewarding learning new life skills and great for general fitness. If you’d like to know more fire us an email [email protected]
· FUNDRAISER - Sunday 11.30am to 5pm, 29th January 2023 we will be conducting our annual Sportspersons Day. I’m now reaching out to YOU to help me identify some quality speakers. They can be actors or actresses, TV personalities, current or past sportsmen and women, speakers that will fascinate an audience with their story! If you could get back to me with a suggestion or two, we’d be super stoked! Simply email [email protected]
· INTERUPTION/DANGER - Work has started! After many years, I’m pleased to advise the new amenities block work adjacent to the club is now up underway. Monday to Saturday for approximately 12 months. There will be some minor interruptions to club business throughout these works. We will keep members posted via social media so please monitor and more importantly with nippers and children please exercise supervision and care.
· SOCIAL MEDIA – How exciting that South Maroubra SLSC has been rated the third most watched Surf Club Facebook site in Australia. If you haven’t joined us, then please do so! For new Nipper families joining us, Nippers also has their own site where vital information is passed on. Wet weather cancellations are also communicated via this forum so it’s in your interest to jump onboard. Club information, history, newsletters and annual reports, club hire information for special events and so much more can all be found on our impressive website at www.southmaroubrasurfclub.com.au
· GETTING TO KNOW US – We’re introducing a new column in this month’s newsletter named ‘Meet the Team' column where each month one of our Club Leaders will be featured starting with yours truly! Take a moment to have a read so you know a little about those who lead your club.
· WHAT'S NEW – Over the last 4 weeks we’ve now installed and will soon be using an additional Nipper storage space in the form of a shipping container. This is to cater for Australia’s biggest nippers and their gear. Our Nipper sponsors are located on the side of the container, we welcome others! Last week we also upgraded the club entry with a privacy screen to temporarily store items awaiting pick up. More work to be done but looks great!
· WEDDING and NIPPER SEASON – Could I respectfully ask our great young members to play their ball games on the sand or if necessary, the southern grass area and not the grass in front of the club. We have nipper families looking forward to enjoying the grass space plus wedding season for upstairs relies upon decent looking and condition grass. Also, we ask members to wash off before entering the club using the public showers.
· THIS SUNDAY YOU'RE INVITED – To celebrate the start of Nippers we will be officially opening the club bar to Social Sunday’s 10.45am to 5pm, Mick’s Kiosk opens and Coffees are available now from the bar. This Sunday we will be providing LIVE MUSIC from 11am to 2pm so be sure to come down and enjoy what will be a wonderful day of fun and action. Family members and community are ALL invited.
· OCTOBERFEST CANCELLATION – A few people have asked about OCTOBERFEST. Regrettably, the renamed event, now called SOUTH MAROUBRA COMMUNITY FESTIVAL and FUN RUN has had to be cancelled due to Insurance issues. Next year for sure!
Look forward to seeing you Sunday so lets make it a BIG start to the season.
Paul ‘Stretch’ Fownes APM OAM
Stay in touch with what's happening around the club.